How can I circumvent very long run times in transaction WSM3? What are good settings for the parallelization?
kindly share your valuable views here.
Thanks in advance.
If you list many new articles to many sites, article segments have to be created for all these article/site combinations. Usually we expect 3 to 5 article/site combinations to be processed per second, thus if you list 1000 articles to 1000 sites, you can expect this to need almost 3 days.
To solve this problem, there are two main avenues: First of all there is parallelization. We recommend using as many processes as are comfortably available and the number of articles to a value between 1 and 500, depending on the actual situation. It is important to note that an article and, in case of generic articles, all the variants have to be processed in a single package!
Two examples can explain what parallelization can achieve and what it's boundaries are:
- 1000 new single articles are listed to 1000 sites, setting the package size to 1 and the number of processes to 50 will reduce the runtime by the factor 50 and listing will take about 1.5 hours.
- 10 new generic articles with 100 variants each are listed to 1000 sites. setting the package size to 1 will not work here because all the variants are included in one package, the effective package size will be 100 and the runtime consequently will be improved only by a factor 10 on the outside, listing will still take about 7 hours.
The second possiblity to circumvent the long runtime is the use of general assortments with the following steps:
- create a new, interim general assortment without any assortment users
- list the new articles to this new general assortment, this will take only a small amount of time
- use transaction WSOA6 to assign the needed sites as assortment users to the new general assortment. Assign them in packages of about 50 sites and save; in the following popup, create a job to create the article segments in the background. Here you can also set the parameters for parallelization. In this context, you should use about 1000 to 5000 article / site combinations per process and at least 10 processes. Take care to leave about a quarter of an hour between job starts to avoid locking issues.
- After all the jobs are completed, list the articles to the sites as you would normally.
- Then delete the listing conditions for the interim assortment
- finally delete the interim assortment itself.
We recommend using this second possibility if you have to list many generic articles to many sites.
Sign up for STechies
All the site contents are Copyright © www.stechies.com and the content authors. All rights reserved.
All product names are trademarks of their respective companies. The site www.stechies.com is in no way affiliated with SAP AG.
Every effort is made to ensure the content integrity. Information used on this site is at your own risk.
The content on this site may not be reproduced or redistributed without the express written permission of
www.stechies.com or the content authors.