If you want to find data or access data more rapidly and proficiently you would have to use index. It will help you to fasten up the searches and requests. If you are using the indexes you will be able to search a table for all the related data records that will fulfill the certain measures faster and quickly. You can easily call index as a copy of database table which has been further reduced to firm fields. Please make sure that the copy will always be in sorted form.
With the help of sorting you would be able to access data records faster and quickly, let us take an example of using a binary search. The index also comprises of an indicator to the conforming record of the real table so that the fields not confined in the index can also be read easily.
There are two types of indexes i.e. primary index and secondary index, the primary index is renowned from the secondary indexes of a table. The primary index comprises the key fields of the related table and an indicator to the non-key fields of the table. Please remember the primary index is generated robotically when the table is generated in the database.
You will also be able to generate extra indexes on a table with in the ABAP Dictionary. These indexes are further known as secondary indexes. These might be essential if the table is normally retrieved in a way, which will further not take advantage of the sorting of the primary index for the retrieval. Several indexes on the same table are famous with a three place index identifier.
If you want to generate a new index you must have to do following steps:
- First of all you have to select the indexes tab
- Next you have to generate an index, for this you have to select new.
- Now put the name of the index, index names, it will be similar as table names, please make sure it must have a prefix, which be further followed by an underscore.
- You must be sure whether the name of the index was listed on the name server or not, it would not be deleted.
- Next you have to choose the table fields, for this you have to select new.
- If the index is a unique index you have to select and check if it has to be generated for all the databases or not, for this you have to select the proper checkboxes.
- Finally save all the data.
Hope fully this might help you to create the indexes