Everyone wants to integrate with different platforms to exchange information easily and effectively. So, in SAP you can also use this facility and it can be possible with SAP PI. SAP PI stands for SAP Process Integration. You can also call it process integration in SAP. You can get interface via it in between operating system and applications through external or internal networks.
Now I think you all should know about REST. REST stands for Representational State Transfer. It is a web service design model which comes up with a lot of characteristics and benefits. So it is so called as a replacement of SOAP and WSDL web services. The main benefits and characteristics of REST are given below:-
- It supports JSON and AtomPub which are inclusion of OData web protocols (Set of rules).
- You will find that it is based on standard HTTP which will be easily consumed by light weighted devices like Smart phones.
- Web based applications like Facebook, Google and Twitter etc. are easily hosted by HTTP so it is good to use REST.
- It’s all resources are identified by URIs by which one can simply deal with a system.
- REST provides security via SSL so the systems are safe which use RESTful web services.
- It’s simple to setup and configure.One can easily validate multiple URLs from REST web services or HTTP.
- REST permits many different data formats along with XML.
It understands the HTTP methods like GET and POST which are mainly used by developers to create, read, update and delete actions. These actions are called as CRUD in short form.
So it is very important to integrate REST with SAP-PI as we know Process Integration in SAP is very important.