What is sap script and layout set?
Ans - SAPscript is the integrated text management system of the SAP R/3 System. SAPscript is tightly integrated into the SAP System. It is used for many different word-processing tasks all over the SAP System.
What is layout set?
A layout set in SAPscript is used for page layout. The layout set contains various elements, which are used for layout control of the individual pages and also contain layout information for texts which are to be output on the individual pages.
The layot of a document is defined in a layot set.
A layout set specified the appearance and structure of a document.
Layout sets contain predefined text modules with space reserved for variable data. You can use these text modules for different application.
Every SAPscript document uses a layout set.
To make changes to your documents, such as moving a piece of text, or changing fonts, paragraph formats, and tabs, you only need to change the layout set.
There are two ways of formatting texts using layout sets:
The text is entered and output in standard text maintenance. You can assign any layout set. Text can also be entered via the layout set a letter header, for example.
The text is formatted via an ABAP/4 program using a layout set. The program can either dynamically output individual predefined text modules, text elements or transfer entire texts, which are to be output in the layout set.
You can use Styles to define the formatting of the text in your documents. A style determines text formatting by setting the paragraph and character formats used in a document. You can, for example, use a style to highlight character strings or whole paragraphs. You can assign a style to any text. Typically, however, you’ll use styles primarily in the main windows of layout sets, where users type or enter text directly in documents.
Header data is found in both style and layout set maintenance.
In style maintenance, it is used primarily to present important information - designed to make it easier for the end user to select a style. The header data in layout set maintenance, on the other hand, is used for information and control purposes.
Windows are defined in layout set maintenance. They represent areas which are positioned on pages as page windows and in which text is
later output. At least one window must be defined for each layout set. If not, a text cannot be formatted by SAP script.
The following window types can be used:
MAIN – Main window in which continuous text is output. This is the window used by dialog users of a print program and layout set. For example the body text of a letter would be entered in MAIN.
VAR– Window with variable contents. The text can vary on each page in which the window is positioned. Variable windows are formatted for each page.
CONST – Window with constant contents which is only formatted once.
A layout set has the following elements:
- Header data - Data related to development (created by, development class, etc.) and layout set information (which elements are used) are both stored in the header data. A start page must be entered here.
- Paragraph formats - Paragraph formats are required in layout sets - as in styles - in order to format texts. However, they are also used for word processing in layout sets, for example, to format text elements.
- Character formats - You can also use character formats to format texts or paragraphs. Unlike paragraph formats, however, they are used to format text within a paragraph.
- Windows - Windows are names and window types, which are not physically positioned until they are allocated to pages and units of measurement are specified.
- Pages - Pages are defined to provide the system with a start and end point in text formatting.
- Page windows - Page windows are the combination of windows and pages, where the dimensions of a window and its position on a page are specified.
The purpose of SAP script control commands is to allow control of the output formatting. These commands are not interpreted by the SAPscript
editor, but are passed through to the SAPscript Composer for processing. The composer is the program that converts text from the form displayed in the editor to the form used for printing.