You already installed MDM 7.1 and now need to update the SAP instance framework (SAPStartSrv).
The update routine in the MDM installation master only covers updating the MDM applications themselves at the moment.
In order to update the SAP instance framework you have to follow a few manual steps.
Make sure to download the SAP instance framework package from SAP Service Marketplace:
service.sap.com/swdc -> SAP Support Packages -> Support Packages and Patches - Entry by Application Group -> SAP NetWeaver -> SAP MDM -> SAP NETWEAVER MDM 7.1 -> Entry by Component -> Master Data Server -> MDM INSTALLATION MASTER 7.1 ->
In order to apply the update, follow these steps:
1. Stop all MDM server instances that will be affected by the update.
2. As you are updating the instance framework, you need to stop the instance services of all instances that will be affected by the update.
On both Windows and UNIX systems you can use sapcontrol in order to stop the instance services:
a) Log on to the system where the instance is running as the adm user. Open a Console window on Windows.
b) Run following sapcontrol command for each instance service that you need to stop:
sapcontrol -nr -function StopService
On Windows the instance services are installed as standard Windows services, therefore you can stop them from within the Windows Services Manager:
Open the Windows Service Manager and stop the Windows services that are called like SAP_ where is the System ID of your SAP system and is the number of the instance that will be affected by the update.
3. Go to the global host of your MDM system. This is the host where you installed the first instance of the MDM system. On Windows systems it is the host that provides the sapmnt network share. On UNIX systems it is the machine that physically hosts the sapmnt directory.
Navigate to following directory:
Windows: :usrsap< SAPSID>SYSexeuc
UNIX: /usr/sap/ /SYS/exe/uc/
Where is the drive where you installed the system (Windows-only), is the system ID of your MDM system, and is the name of the platform that you like to update.
In the following this folder is referred to as the .
4. The instance framework package is contained in an SAP archive that is called SAPINSTANCE.SAR. Extract the contents of this archive into the folder.
IMPORTANT: As this folder contains the applications files for a certain type of platform, you must be very careful that you extract the archive that fits to this platform!
The SAPINSTANCE. SAR archive contains the SAPCAR utility that you need for extracting this archive. However, you cannot extract the archive by calling the copy of SAPCAR that is stored in the folder since the tool cannot overwrite itself while it is running. Simply move the tool to a temporary folder in the file system from where you can launch it.
Extract the contents of by issuing the following command from within the folder as it will extract the archive directly into the current folder:
-xvf < path to SAPINSTANCE.SAR>
Repeat this step for all platforms for which you need to update the instance framework.
After you extracted the SAPINSTANCE. SAR archives for each platform, you can remove the copy of the SAPCAR utility from the temporary folder.
5. After you extracted each SAPINSTANCE.SAR archive on the global host, the instance framework files have to be distributed into the exe folders of each MDM instance. You can use the sapcpe tool in order to perform the distribution. The following steps have to be performed separately for each instance that is to be updated:
a) If you are not logged in into the system where the instance is running, log into it using the adm user.
b) Go to the executable folder of the instance.
c) Issue the following command in order to start the redistribution process:
Windows: sapmntSYSexeuc sapcpe.exe pf=< SAPGLOBALHOST>sapmntSYSprofile__ list: sapmntSYSexeuc sapinstance.lst
UNIX: /usr/sap//SYS/exe/run/sapcpe pf=/usr/sap//SYS/profile/__ list:/usr/sap//SYS/exe/run/sapinstance.lst
is the system ID again. is the host name of the machine that owns the sapmnt share (Windows-only). has to fit to the OS of the machine where the instance is running. is the type of the MDM server that the instance is running. It can be MDS, MDIS, MDSS, or MDLS. is the number of the instance. is the host name of the machine where the instance is running.
d) After you redistributed the instance framework files into the instance, you can restart the instance service. Issue following sapcontrol command in order to start the instance service:
sapcontrol -nr -function StartService
On Windows you can use the Windows Services Manager again:
Open the Windows Service Manager and start the Windows service that is called like SAP_ where is the System ID of your SAP system and is the number of the instance that you just updated.
Repeat these steps for all instances that are to be updated!
6. After you updated and restarted all instance services you may start the MDM instances again.