In principle, you can start using the Note Assistant at any time. We recommend that you start using it as soon as possible. There are no technical restrictions concerning the start time.
If you implemented corrections contained in SAP Notes manually before using the Note Assistant, you must make them known to the Note Assistant. This helps to administer the SAP Notes in your system. It is also necessary for implementing SAP Notes using the Note Assistant. If you use the Note Assistant to implement an SAP Note that has corrections from SAP Notes as a prerequisite, the Note Assistant must "know" that these corrections were already implemented. Otherwise, the Note Assistant will implement the corrections again.
- Load the Note Assistant add-on for your SAP R/3 Release from the SAP Service Marketplace and install it using the SAP Add-On Installation Tool.
- To register the SAP Notes with the Note Assistant, execute program SCWN_REGISTER_NOTES.
For future Support Package imports or upgrades, the corrections from the SAP Notes are displayed in the category SAP Note corrections in the modification adjustment function. The system determines automatically whether these SAP Notes have to be implemented again or reset to their original status.
Note: These corrections are also displayed under the category With Modification Assistant or Without Modification Assistant. This is necessary since you may have further modified these objects. You have to decide whether the objects can be reset to their original status or whether you want to keep your modifications.
After a Support Package Import/ Upgrade
For practical reasons, we recommend that you start using the Note Assistant after you have imported Support Packages or after an upgrade. This has the advantage that there are fewer or no SAP Notes in your system that you need to register with the Note Assistant. If you upgrade from a release below 4.5B, which the
Note Assistant does not support, to a release 4.5B or higher, you should install the Note Assistant before you perform the modification adjustment.
- Load the Note Assistant add-on for your SAP R/3 Release from the SAP Service Marketplace and install it using the SAP Add-On Installation Tool
- Reset the correction from the SAP Note to its original status using the modification adjustment function (transaction SPAU). If you have further modified the objects and you want to keep the modifications, make sure to re-insert them afterwards.
- Load the corresponding SAP Note into the Note Assistant and implement it.
- If you have inserted your own modifications to the source code, re-insert them now.
- Repeat these steps for all corrections from SAP Notes and complete the modification adjustment
- Register the remaining SAP Notes using the program SCWN_REGISTER_NOTES.
Note: Make sure you do not execute the program before completing the modification adjustment. The program only checks that the validities of the registered SAP Note are true. It cannot check the content.