C++ is a mid-level, general-purpose and object-oriented programming language with both low and high-level programming capabilities. It is an extended version of the C language with the additional concept of 'classes'. C++ is compatible with a number of platforms like Unix, Windows, MAC OS and others. It is one of the most widely used commercial programming languages and is considered by many as one of the best languages to create large-scale applications.
Prerequisites to Learn C++
Even though there is no rule of thumb as to what one should already know before starting to learn C++, some consider an understanding of the C programming language a prerequisite for learning C++.
C++ is an object-oriented programming language while C is just a basic programming language. So, you can learn the programming concepts in the C language in a relatively easier way. C++ is a more complex language and is the superset of C. Thus, an understanding of the C language facilitates a quick and easy learning of C++.
Uses of C++
- Web Browsers: Web applications and websites are scripted in C++. C++ is a fast and reliable language and is preferred by many developers for scripting purposes. Parts of Google and Mozilla Firefox are coded in C++.
- Database Software: MySQL, one of the most prevalent database management softwares, has been scripted using C++. C++ is the backbone of a number of database-based tech giants like Google, Yahoo, YouTube and Wikipedia.
- Operating Systems: C++ is an essential part of many important prevalent operating systems like Windows and Apple's OS X.
- GUI-based Applications: Graphical User Interface-based applications like Photoshop, image Ready and Adobe Premier are scripted in C++.
- Games: C++ is a programming language that can deal with the complexities that 3D games entail and also optimize resource management, facilitate multiplayer with networking. C++ is very fast and provides good control on hardware.
- Compilers: The C++ language is used by many compilers like Apple C++, Clang C++, Bloodshed Dev-C++ and MINGW.
Hello World Program in C++
using namespace std;
cout << "Hello, World!";
Does C++ Have a Future?
According to the TIOBE Index for January 2018 C++ is the 3rd most popular programming language after Java and C language respectively on 1st and 2nd. There is so much going on C++ language. VR is reviving C and C++ development because as we all know VR (Virtual Reality) games are very computationally intensive. So if anyone want to go into the VR world, C and C++ might be a very good choice, mostly with the Unreal Engine to be able to learn how to do that, which has become popular in the VR stuff, Oculus Rift and many others.
- Top 12 Best Online C++ Compiler
Online compilers or IDE are tools which allow us to compile and execute our source code of various programming language such as C++, java, python etc.This tutorial explains the features of top online ...
- Single Inheritance in C++ Programming
What is Single Level Inheritance? Single Level Inheritance is the mechanism of deriving a class from only one single base class. The operator used for inheritance is colon(:). Single level ...
- Difference between Q_IDA License and IQ_URIDA License
Q_IDA License vs. IQ_URIDA LicenseQ_IDA (In-Database Analytics)InDatabase Analytics Option is new type of licence which allows users to build, deploy and run their own C/C++ User-Defined Functions (UD ...
- Storage Classes in C
What is Storage Classes? To define a variable in C language, its data type needs to be defined in the syntax ‘data type=identifier;’. For example, ‘int=a;’ defines the varia ...
- Multiple Inheritance Sample Program in C++
What is Multiple Inheritance?Multiple Inheritance is the process of deriving a class from more than one base class. An important point to be noted is protected data members. Protected data member ...
- Multilevel Inheritance Sample Program in C++
What is Multilevel Inheritance?Multilevel inheritance is the process of deriving a class from another class which was further derived from another base class. For example, class ‘C’ is der ...
- Fibonacci Series in C Programming
C Program to Display Fibonacci Sequence Fibonacci series is a very famous mathematical progression where each number is the sum of its previous two numbers. The series goes as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, ...