Oracle is a multinational software corporation and one of the largest players in the IT enterprise solution market. They are famous for developing the Oracle database. This database is a relational database management system that is used for grid computing. This allows a very cost-effective method for handling information.
It also supports handling of large databases, analytics, and business intelligence. They have expanded their market and now develop many other applications such as data storage equipment, data analysis tools, and middleware.
In 2018, Oracle is the third largest software development company by revenue and has a market share of more than 40%. They are in the process of developing cloud applications for the future.
The company was co-founded by Larry Ellison along with Bob Miner and Ed Oates, and the initial name of the company was Software Development Laboratories. Ellison was inspired by a paper authored by Edgar F. Codd on relational database management systems and the IBM System R.
The first SQL database Relational Database Management system was launched in 1979. In 1984, the first database with read consistency was deployed.
In 1986, the company launched the first client-server database management system, and in the subsequent years, they launched PL/SQL and UNIX based applications. They formally changed their name to Oracle Corporation.
At that time co-founder, Bob Miner was the senior programmer. Their early products were made using the C programming language.
These are six editions of Oracle:
The architecture of the Oracle database is described as follows:
Oracle is a very popular choice for users and companies all over the world due to the following reasons:
1) Enhanced system upgrades – As Oracle databases are backwards compatible, the companies are able to upgrade their entire database systems easily. Oracle provides low-cost upgrading facilities and the entire system does not have to be altered.
2) Data recovery – The Oracle database implements a technology called Flashback that helps in securing lost data. This technology enhances data recovery time and human error. This simplifies the administration.
3) Enhanced features – The Real Application Cluster feature of the Oracle database allows multiple servers to work on a single database. This enhances the processing power of the database. There are options to fine-tune the database to synchronize it with the server.
4) Versatility – The database is very versatile as to choosing the operating system to run it. It can be run on any operating system such as Windows and UNIX. For example, the Oracle SQL database can be installed in a UNIX system, while the standardization of the SQL can be preserved. As UNIX is not much vulnerable to viruses, the user can use this to their advantage.
5) Version changes – Oracle has very updated notifications that inform you of the details about the next version to be released and its new features. It has good documentation along with a very active community where users can discuss the issues.
The different features of Oracle along with its versatility make it a major name in the database software industry. The database is portable and can be used in different operating systems with ease. The enhanced technologies enable users to recover their data faster and reduce the chances of data loss. As Oracle Corporation is the largest developer of database technologies, they have the potential to spend more on research and development, which in turn allows them to develop advanced products. Their customer support is also very strong and the issues are resolved efficiently.