APO Demand Planning: Essential Enhancements to Make It More Useful
There are many great tools, but I believe Demand Planning is one of the great tools if configured and used properly. People sometimes make it just like a data entry tool after a few months of implementation, because of improper configuration. Let’s find out some common issues and concerns about this tool…
- Understanding Forecast Modelling and Error Measurement
- Upload excel data directly into the Planning Book
- The tedious job is CVC creation, especially for the new product
- No Event and Audit log for changes done within the Planning Book
- Outlier Correction doesn’t work as desired
- Exception Management by Alert Monitor can be simplified for end user experience
- DP BOM functionality and all the issues related to it
- Multi screen/transaction code types of applications require team of skilled consultants (Admin/ Technical/ Functional) to maintain the application. And these applications make it less user friendly.
These are some of the common issues and it’s time to find out enhancement for the application.
Automatic update of Selection profiles – Expert consultant can update selection profile based on Z program by updating these tables -/SAPAPO/TS_SELKO and /SAPAPO/TS_SELPO.
Automate or simplify CVC creation process – Here are some simple steps to create CVC…
- Create the program that will upload (predefined formatted and tab delimited) file into Application Server (AL11)
- During the uploading, the application validates individual records from the file against the Master Data (Info objects - /BIC/PXXX tables) in APO and also against the /sapapo/v_matloc table.
- If there is any erroneous or invalid record into the log file, then it will appear on the screen and only valid records would be uploaded in a file on the application server.
- Run the Batch Job to pick-up the file, either it will be uploaded into the InfoCube OR in MC62 variant, and create the CVCs using FILE from the application server. If file is uploaded into InfoCube then CVC will be created based on InfoCube by running standard /SAPAPO/TS_PLOB_MAINTAIN program.
- After the successful generation of CVCs, then run /SAPAPO/TS_LCM_PLOB_DELTA_SYNC to Adjust Time Series.
Adding (or removing) a new plan able characteristic to an existing POS - Well you need to rebuild the system
Knowing the right syntax for the Macro Workbench would be helpful for the first timers, else it can take weeks to find out the correct syntax such as C = A/B + D, A, B C being values at different levels of aggregation.
If master data is deleted or becomes inactive in SID tables of info-objects, serious time series errors (COM errors) can occur. In such situations, planning object ID is not recognized, even though data and live cache anchors “exist” in the planning area. The data can be loaded in the planning area as long as CVC’s physically exist in the MPOS.
Use InfoCube to run queries on the products whose demand is between 500 and 600 in a particular month.
In the SAP APO and DP, performance is a black hole. Loading selections and drilling can take time without proactive system performance management. The BASIS experts (Performance Optimization Consultant) can perform health check twice in a year.
To get CVC deletion data by some criteria, you need to write your own program though SAP.
Hope the above enhancement suggestions would help you in your project. I am waiting for your comments to know how much helpful it was for you or if you have some questions.
Know More About SAP APO