One of the more interesting solutions I saw at the September SAP TechEd was SAP Discovery System For Enterprise SOA.
SAP Discovery System is a preconfigured bundled development environment that allow users to create composite SOA applications in a sandbox environment using technologies such as Netweaver, master data management and business intelligence.
SAP partners Fujitsu and HP offer the Discovery System and the environment is composed of the following software and development components:
- SAP® ERP application
- Enterprise services
- SAP NetWeaver® technology platform
- Web Dynpro development environment
- SAP Solution Manager application management solution
- SAP GRC Access Control application
- SAP xApp™ Manufacturing Integration & Intelligence application
- SAP solutions for RFID
- SAP GRC Global Trade Services application
- MaxDB database
- SAP NetWeaver Developer Studio tool
- SAP NetWeaver Visual Composer tool
- Adobe Lifecycle Designer
- ABAP™ programming language workbench
The true value of the Discovery System seems to be in the demo business scenarios and exercises that are included in the system like:
- Customer Fact Sheet
- Electronic Bill Presentment and Payment
- Global Trade Services
- Permit Process Scenario
- Service-Enabled Procurement Scenario
- SAP RFID Solution
- Telco Dealer Returns Scenario
- RMA Processing Scenario
These scenarios and demos are bundled with a snapshot of SAP’s Enterprise Services Workspace and allow users to browse and test SAP’s enterprise services and scenario’s. In addition many industry specific SOA test cases are available including scenarios for Banking, Telecommunications, Aerospace and Public Sector.
Itai Sadan, Program Manager for the SAP SOA Discovery System answered a few questions for the OnDemand Beat about Discovery System.