Internet and Intranet – a lot of confusion exists when it comes to these terms. Because the former is a lot more common, the latter is often confused with it. However, there are significant differences between the two.
Read on to know more -
Intranet vs Internet
|It is an open network of computers that anyone can access.||It is a private network of computers that offer limited access.|
|Accessing the internet does not necessarily require a password.||Passwords protect intranet access. Only users who have the password can access the intranet.|
|The ownership of the internet does not belong to a single or a group of organisations.||The ownership of intranet lies with a single or a group of organisations.|
|The internet is not as safe as the intranet.||The intranet is much safer than the internet.|
|All kinds of information are available on the internet for every kind of user who accesses it.||The kind of information available on the intranet is limited and only relevant to the needs of the organisation/ organisations that own the network.|
|The internet is composed of several LAN (Local Area Network), WAN (Wide Area Network) and MAN (Metropolitan Area Network).||The intranet is composed of either a LAN (Local Area Network) or a WAN (Wide Area Network) or a MAN (Metropolitan Area Network).|
What is the Internet?
- The Internet consists of a network of computers that anyone can access.
- Many intranets together make up the internet.
- There is no limit to the number of users who can use the internet at any given time
- The information available on the internet is gathered from different sources. Anyone can easily access any data on the internet.
What is Intranet?
- An intranet is a smaller network of computers that allows access to a particular group of users.
- One can access the intranet from the internet. However, there are restrictions on the number of users.
- Only a specific few users can access the intranet.
- There are limitations on the volume of traffic at any given time.
- Intranet contains a specific kind of information only.
Similarities between Internet and Intranet
- You may access both the internet and intranet from any browser.
- Intranet uses internet protocols to transfer data.
- The primary function of both internet and intranet is sharing information.
Therefore, the intranet is a part of the internet. While you can freely access the internet for any purposes, you need special authorisation to access the intranet. An intranet is thus a private and more secure form of internet.