What is WordPress?
Wordpress is a content management system that is written using PHP and SQL. It is primarily used for developing websites and blogs.
Almost 40 % of the websites of the world are developed using Wordpress. It is open source and can be used for making online stores, forums, and social media sites.
What are some most important features of WordPress?
The most important features of WordPress are:
- The sites are SEO friendly
- They are responsive
- Being open-source there is a vast community that contributes to making themes and plugins
- The interface is interactive and user-friendly
- Availability of a large number of plugins and widgets
- The sites have social media sharing features
What are some disadvantages of WordPress?
Some disadvantages of Wordpress are as follows:
- Modifying the sites may require some basic knowledge of PHP, HTML, and CSS
- The plugins developed by external developers are not adequately monitored so that they may contain bugs or glitches
- Using more plugins may create many problems incompatibility
- Altering tables and images within site may be problematic
How to make a WordPress site secure?
Steps to secure a Wordpress site are as follows:
- Install the Wordpress security plugin to protect the site from malware and viral attacks
- Use a stronger password for the site
- Avoid using nulled themes and use premium themes instead
- Use an SSL certificate
What is a slug in WordPress?
A slug is a text that appears right after the domain name of the URL. A post slug is the name of a post that has a valid URL and is user-friendly. It is used for creating permalinks for every post.
What are WordPress hooks?
Hooks are pieces of code through which themes and plugins communicate with each other. WordPress offers many hooks for the users, but they can also create their own hooks.
Explain the types of hooks in WordPress.
There are 2 different types of hooks which are as follows:
- Action – This is a hook that is invoked while Wordpress is running and allows the user to take a certain action. These functions perform tasks during an event. For example, sending a tweet for a post or creating a widget.
- Filter- This is used for modifying functions. But the modifications are done before the data is sent to the browser or database. Example, adding code below a post
What is Pingback in WordPress?
A Pingback is a type of comment that is used to notify that a blog post is linked to another post from a different site. If the other site is Pingback enabled, the owner will be notified when their post is linked.
For this, the option "Attempt to notify any blogs linked to from the article" has to be checked in the Discussion Settings.
What is an excerpt in WordPress?
An excerpt is a text that is used to provide a brief summary of a long article. They are used as a replacement of the index of the blog. It is used popularly in news and magazine website to display their articles in brief, without showing the entire article.
In WordPress, excerpts are generated by default by selecting the initial 55 words of a blog post. They can be enabled manually in the Posts section.
What is the difference between post and pages in WordPress?
Posts are articles or blog content that is listed on the sites. They are published in reverse chronological order. The content can be modified from the Posts Menu.
What are plugins in WordPress?
Plugins are software extensions that can be installed to enhance the functionality of your website. There are more than 48,000 plugins in the WordPress plugin directory. For example, the Envira Gallery Plugin to convert the site into a photography website. The RetainMeNot plugin can be used to create a site for offering coupons.
What are the plugins used to improve SEO in WordPress?
The best WordPress plugins used for improving the SEO of a website are:
- Google XML sitemaps
- Yoast SEO
- W3 Total Cash
- WPtouch Mobile Plug-in
- Google Analytics by MonsterInsights plugin
- WordPress Firewall and Security plugin
- Broken link checker
What is $wpdb in WordPress?
wpdb is a WordPress class that is used for communicating with the database through some functions. It primarily connects to the WordPress database but can also be used for interacting with other databases.
By using the $wpdb global variable, the wpdb class can be replaced by the user's settings.
What is oauth2 Authentication?
OAuth2 or Open Authorization is a token-based authorization procedure. Using this, the user can securely use their account information on sites like Facebook, without exposing their credentials to the third party.
An access token provided by OAuth2 authorizes user account information. The token is received by a process called flow.
What are the default tables used in Wordpress?
Wordpress by default uses 12 tables: