Release Strategy FAQs
1. Why can I modify a purchase requisition although I set the changeability of the release indicator to '1' ('Cannot be changed')?
The purchase requisition is not modifiable via a purchasing transaction like ME52 or ME52N. But it is possible to change the purchase requisition from any other external application like sales order, planned order, maintenance order or network. The Changeability functionality only concerns the purchasing transactions. This is intended and a new release strategy determination takes place if there is a modification of the data in the external application.
2. Is it possible to modify the overall release status (V_T161-GSFRG) of the document type for a purchase requisition ? Why is the database table field Overall release of purchase requisitions (EBAN-GSFRG) set as overall whereas the item is subject to an item-wise release strategy ?
SAP does not recommend to modify the overall release status (V_T161-GSFRG) of the document type for a purchase requisition (customizing - transaction OMEB). The risk is to create inconsistencies in database table EBAN. If a purchase requisition is subject to an overall release strategy and you change the document type from overall to item-wise release, the system can determine an item-wise release strategy when you modify one item with ME52. This item is now subject to a single release strategy when all other items are still subject to the former overall release strategy. And the overall release field (EBAN-GSFRG) is still set as overall for all items. If you do the same change with ME52N, the items not modified are no longer subject to the former overall release strategy and EBAN-GSFRG is set as item-wise for all items. But the requisition processing state (EBAN-BANPR) remains in status release completed (05) for the items not modified.
3. Why is the release strategy not reset ?
A reset of the release strategy only takes place if
- the changeability of the release indicator is set to '4' in case of a purchase requisition and '4' or '6' in case of another purchasing document (purchase order, request for quotation, contract, scheduling agreement),
- the document is still subject to the previous release strategy,
- the new TOTAL NET ORDER VALUE is higher than the old one.
The total net order value is linked to CEKKO-GNETW for a purchase order, CEBAN-GSWRT for a purchase requisition item-wise release and CEBAN-GFWRT for a purchase requisition overall release. If you have maintained a Tolerance for value changes during release (V_161S-TLFAE), the release strategy is reset when the value of the document is higher than the percentage you have specified and if the document is still subject to the previous release strategy.
4. Why is the release strategy not determined ?
Please check the following points:
- You can not use Release without classification and Release with classification. If there is an entry present in Release Group table (T16FG-FRGOT) only release with classification can be used.
- If you use version management, the determination of the release strategy starts when the version is completed.
You complete a version by setting the "version completed" indicator in the version tab.
- Cost Center values (CEBAN-KOSTL) and Vendor values (CEBAN-LIFNR) in the release strategy characteristics should be entered with leading zeros. This is true for the other structures as well (CEKKO and CESSR). See 52225.
- For OVERALL RELEASE (purchase order and purchase requisition) the item fields such as Plant and Material Group will be aggregated to header level. For example you use Plant as one of your characteristics. If all items do not belong to the same plant then the relase strategy will not be found unless you have maintained a blank value as one of your allowed values for the characteristic Plant. If all items belong to the same plant then that plant is aggregated to the header; if one or more is different then a blank is aggregated to the header. See 47089.
- If you use a release user exit to derive the communication structure the following statements must be in the code (see 371667):
- E_CEBAN = I_CEBAN (EXIT_SAPLEBND_001 and EXIT_SAPBELND_004)
- E_CEKKO = I_CEKKO (EXIT_SAPLEBND_002)
5. Why is there no release strategy for the quotations (ME47)?
The release strategy determination takes only place when you modify the request of quotation via ME42.
6. Why does the system not display the purchase requisition I double click on with ME55 (scope of list F) ?
If you have previously selected one or several documents the program determines the first document selected and not necessary the one you double click on. The purchase requisitions will be displayed one after the other and to do so each purchase requisition displayed is deselected. On the other hand, if no document is marked, the system displays the document you double click on because the program selects the document according to the position of the cursor and not the mark.
Read Here for SAP MM Forums.
7. Why can I not select several purchase requisitions with ME55 and scope of list ALV grid?
As from release 470, you can use scope of list ALV grid with ME55. This constitutes a new design and was developed in order to achieve accessibility requirements. It was not the aim to guarantee absolute identical functioning as with the other scopes. The behaviour is more user-friendly than with the old scope of list. With scope of list ALV grid it is no longer possible to select several purchase requisitions and release them all together. This was done on purpose and the user should release the documents without the checkbox selection.
8. Why is the database table ekko not updated when I use transaction ME28 to release purchase orders ?
First check that the transaction/event key (vorga) for ME28 in pooled table T160 (SAP Transaction Control, Purchasing) is EF. Then check if a committed work in a user-exit does not interfere with logic of transaction ME28.
9. What authority check is performed with release transactions ME29N and ME54N ?
With the Release Purchase Order (ME29N) and Release Purchase Requisition (ME54N) transactions, an AUTHORIZED person can display/change the current version of the document and effect release with his release codes. An authority check is performed on object M_EINK_FRG for transaction ME29N and object M_BANF_FRG for transaction ME54N. With the authorization object M_EINK_FRG, you can determine which purchasing documents the user may release via the release group (FRGGR) and which release codes (FRGCO) he may use when doing so. The authorization object M_BANF_FRG enables you to restrict the release of purchase requisitions via the release code (FRGCD).
10. Why do I have to switch to change mode in order to release with transaction ME54N ?
When you select with ME54N a purchase requisition that cannot be released the system switches to display mode and if then you select a releasable purchase requisition the system keeps the display mode due to technical reasons. Consequently, you have to switch to Change mode by clicking on the Change/Display button (F7).
11. Is it possible to create a purchase order with reference to a purchase requisition not yet released? Is it possible to create a purchase order with reference to a request of quotation not yet released ?
It is not possible to create a purchase order if the referenced purchase requisition is not released. But the system allows you to put the purchase order on hold and then release the purchase requisition. On the other hand, you can create a purchase order with reference to an unreleased request of quotation.
Read Next What is SAP MM
12. Is it possible to cancel a release strategy when the purchase order has been printed out?
With ME29N you cannot cancel a release strategy once the document has been printed out. This behaviour constitutes a new design. Regarding ME28 it has been decided to keep the old behaviour and you can cancel the release if there is at least one message type which has not been printed out.
13. How is the currency converted?
The header currency is converted to local currency (company code currency) and then the local currency is converted to the characteristic currency.
14. Can I use a blank characteristic so that this characteristic will not be considered during the release strategy determination?
Unfortunately, there is no mechanism like entering a blank or * in order to make classification understand this characteristic is not relevant. The characteristic and its values will always been taken into consideration. In case you use a 'non-aggregated' field in your release strategy you need to enter all possible values for the corresponding characteristic (as a range - just in case of numeric characteristics). Example: You use item-wise release strategy for purchase requisitions and the plant is used in the release strategy (characteristic CEBAN-WERKS). Release strategy determination will be processed item by item. There will always be just one value for the plant (from the current item), multiple values and thus aggregation is not possible. In this case you have to enter all possible values for the characteristic CEBAN-WERKS.
In case you use an 'aggregated' field in your release strategy (which is possible for overall release strategy for PRs and release strategy for POs) and multiple values are used for that field on a purchasing document, you can use a blank value for the corresponding characteristic if you'd like the release strategy be applied. Example: You use release strategy for a PO and the plant is one of the relevant fields (characteristic CEKKO-WERKS). You enter a first PO item with plant 0001 and a second item with plant 0002. Since there are multiple values for the plant the system will 'aggregate' to blank value and use blank value for searching for a release strategy. Since you have maintained a blank value for characteristic CEKKO-WERKS the system will find the corresponding release strategy. In this case please pay attention to 732566. It causes an error in case blank values are used for release strategies. Even when the long text just talks about process orders the impact of the side effect is more general. Please take care 754178 is implemented, it corrects 732566.
15. Why can I not input more that 999 entries for a characteristic like costcenter (KOSTL) ?
The cost center field ( CEBAN-KOSTL) is defined as a CHAR field and also the reference characteristic for this field has a CHAR format. Therefore you can only assign less than 999 values (see 534226).
16. Why is there no release strategy determination when a program changes in the background a purchasing document which corresponds to the classification of a release strategy?
This is the system design that a release strategy determination can only be triggered by a user action and not by changes made in the background process. If you create a document (e.g. PO, Contract, etc), the determination of the release strategy takes place only in case of a user event like checking or saving the document.