Data Dictionary vs Data Repository
- ABAP Dictionary is a central component of the ABAP workbench. It contains both business and technical definitions and descriptions of SAP data.The ABAP/4 Dictionary stores system-wide data definitions.
- When you create a new data definition, the Dictionary tool does all the processing necessary to create the definition. You can use the Dictionary tool to look up the "definition" of objects in your R/3 System
- The Data Dictionary is the set of metadata used to describe the data stored in the repository. The data descriptions in a Data Dictionary is also called metadata, i.e., data that describes other data.
- The ABAP Dictionary enables all data definitions used in the SAP System to be described and managed centrally. The tasks of the ABAP Dicitonary can be subdivided into: Database object definitions (tables, views, and so on) Type definitions (structures, tables types, and so on) Services definitions (F1 help, F4 help, lock objects and so on)
- Data Repository is a Central catalog that contains the descriptions of an organization's data and provides information about the relationships between the data and its use in programs and screens.
- The Repository, the central store for all ABAP workbench development objects, is also cross-client. It contains all Dictionary objects (tables, data elements, domains), and also all ABAP programs, menus and screens. Repository objects are grouped together to form packages.
- A repository is a place where data are stored and maintained.