The use of batch input procedures for entering data in the SAP database is quite common. The administrator should monitor the Batch Input Logs after each Batch Input run. All erroneously terminated Batch Input sessions should be analysed, and the error must be corrected with the help of the concerned developer before finally proceeding with the completion of those sessions. Perform the following sequence of actions in order to monitor the Batch Input Logs:
- From the SAP main screen choose the option Tools -> Administration, Monitoring -> Batch Input. Alternately execute the transaction SM35.
- On the following screen enter "*" in the field 'Session name', define a suitable time period in the fields 'Creation date from' and 'to' (else we can leave them blank) for viewing sessions which were generated in that period of time. Select all the check boxes specifying all possible status of the Batch Input sessions. Click the 'Overview' pushbutton.
- On the following screen we will get a status-wise grouping of all Batch Input sessions (if any) that were generated in the specified period.
- Select any erroneous/incorrect session and click the 'Log' pushbutton.
The following screen contains information about the transactions being processed by the selected session, as well as reports any problems encountered during the processing. Inform the developers about the errors if the error is not due to any system problem like power failure or R/3 system shutdown during processing.
- In case of any system error, delete the terminated session restart from the 'Batch Input Session Overview' screen by selecting the session and choosing the menu option Session -> Delete. Ask the developers to run the batch input program to regenerate the session and then process it afresh. Otherwise, we can restart the terminated session from the 'Batch Input Session Overview' screen by selecting the session and choosing the menu option Session -> Release.
- In case of all non-system errors, the developers should identify the problem and come up with the solution. After the error has been identified, we can reprocess the terminated session from the 'Batch Input Session Overview' screen by selecting the session and choosing the menu option Session -> Delete. It is recommended to choose either the 'Process/foreground' or the 'Display errors only' option during reprocessing. This gives an interactive control and a place for modifying the erroneous values in the screen.