SAP DMS (Document Management System) is a tool used storing documents such as CAD drawings, Materials pictures etc. With the document management system, users will be able to view the documents with ease within their SAP Systems.
Installing the SAP DMS requires a little bit of planning on how you want to do it. You have to give little thoughts to stuff such as:-
1. The total numbers of documents that will be store monthly.
2. The average file size of each document.
3. The capacity of your present R/3 system.
4. Your present network bandwidth.
5. Document Archiving Strategy.
6. Backup and Recovery Plan.
Additional purchasing of hardware are required, especially if you have a large amount of documents to stored.
With this in mind, you can then decide on how you want to do it.
You can do this in a few ways :-
1. Import the documents into the R/3 system.
2. Use an external document server.
3. Have a dedicated PCs where all the documents are stored.
Most companies that intend to used DMS will opt for Option 2 as they does not want to overstretch the R/3 database.
Options 1 requires you to setup the conversion interface.
The conversion interface allows R/3 to automatically covert your files and import it into the R/3 database.
Here is a simple example of storing documents into your PCs, just to have a feel how the SAP DMS works:-
For those using Citrix, you have to set this at the Citrix Server where the SAP GUI is located.
Configure SM30 - V_TDWE_C1
Put this command in your autoexec.bat
Restart your pc.
You can create/manage your documents in transaction code CV01N / CV02N
Assigning Documents to a Material Master Record
Access a material master record in Create or Change mode, and select Basic Data.
To create links to documents, choose Additional data -> Document data.
The Link to Documents dialog box appears.
Assign one or more documents to the material.
If you do not know what the document number is, you can search for it using the search help or by choosing Find document.
When assigning a document to a material, you have the following options:
1. Viewing the document by choosing it in the Link to Documents dialog box.
2. Viewing any originals of the document by positioning the cursor on the document and choosing Display originals in the Link to Documents dialog box.
To return to the Basic Data screen, choose Continue.
Save your data.