FAQ: SAP HANA Studio
1. Define SAP HANA Studio?
The SAP HANA Studio is both the main administration tool and the central development environment for SAP HANA.
2. Can individual SQL statements be executed with SAP HANA Studio?
Individual SQL statements can be executed using SAP HANA Studio’s SQL console.
SQL consoles and several SQL statements can possibly be run parallel.
3. Can an individual SQL statement started with SAP HANA Studio possibly be stopped?
You can terminate a statement if you have started to execute a SQL statement with SAP HANA Studio and problems arise (e.g. high memory consumption) by selecting the "Cancel operation" button in the Progress View (Windows -> Show View -> Progress).
4. Is it possible to automatically format SQL statements in the SQL editor?
Using the keyboard combination CTRL - SHIFT - O, you can optimize the formatting of SQL statements e.g.:
SELECT object_name, object_oid FROM objects WHERE object_name= 'DBSTATC' AND schema_name LIKE 'SAP%'
WHERE object_name= 'DBSTATC'
AND schema_name LIKE 'SAP%'
5. Why is SAP HANA Studio delivered with version number 2.x as of SPS 09?
SAP HANA Studio is delivered with version number 2.x as of SAP HANA SPS 09 while the SAP HANA software still has version number 1.x. The intention of SAP to decouple the versions of SAP HANA Studio and the SAP HANA database causes this change. You can use SAP HANA Studio version 2.x in combination with SAP HANA databases 1.x since it doesn't impact the compatibility.
6. How can the problems displaying the load graph be solved?
To check for historic database figures like CPU consumption, memory consumption or SQL throughput, the load graph ("Administration" -> "Performance" -> "Load") is a useful tool, but there can be situations where the performance is slow or it's not working properly. You can access the underlying information differently (e.g. via DBACOCKPIT or SQL) in this case or adjust the memory limit for SAP HANA Studio.
7. If other memory-intensive activities in SAP HANA Studio don't work, what can be done?
The adjustment of the SAP HANA Studio memory configuration as described in SAP 2159510 can help if other activities like a large PlanViz in SAP HANA Studio with a high memory requirement evaluation fail.
8. What can be done if opening the overview tab in the administration console takes a long time?
A high amount of SAP HANA alerts can often affect opening the overview tab in the administration console. You can check according to SAP 2147247 if the number of alerts in table STATISTICS_ALERTS_BASE is too high and perform a cleanup if it takes many seconds or even minutes to open the overview tab.
9. For a certain SAP HANA database, which SAP HANA Studio version should be used?
SAP HANA Studio is not upward compatible, but downward compatible. This means in order to perform monitoring and development tasks you should always use at least the SAP HANA Studio Revision that was delivered together with the SAP HANA server software.
A SAP HANA Studio version higher than the SAP HANA server version can also result in errors in some cases, see e.g. SAP 2337716. You should use identical versions for SAP HANA Studio and SAP HANA whenever possible, to be on the safe side.
10. How does the SAP HANA Revisions correspond to the SAP HANA Studio version?
Here are the following ways; the SAP HANA SPS level and SAP HANA Studio version correspond:
SAP HANA Studio
Read Next About SAP HANA Module Course, Fee, Career & Certification