There are a variety of SAP applications that are used by organizations. All of these apps or software products are coded using a language called ABAP. Thus, SAP Programming is the process of coding these software products.
In this post, we will discuss the importance, use, and features of SAP Programming. Also, we’ll see how you can become an SAP Consultant.
What is an SAP Program?
An SAP program, like any other program, is a set of instructions that are executed to produce a result. This sequence of instructions is written in ABAP. As SAP software products are complex and have a lot of modules, these programs are a bit complicated. SAP programs and sub-programs are used for creating apps that record user data.
Although known for their complexity, SAP applications have been very beneficial for many companies. SAP programs have been made into apps that have enhanced business operations. Recording business transactions, data analysis, evaluating metrics, billing, and business process management. Whenever an SAP program is executed, it results in the delivery of a business function.
For example, SAP programmers may create a program for an app that handles sales processes. This app will help professionals to capture sales data and customer orders.
That’s why ABAP programmers are in huge demand in the market. And SAP Applications have become an inseparable part of most organizations.
What is an SAP Program Used For?
SAP programs are used for developing ERP cloud software for empowering businesses. These programs are used for creating apps to support the following areas –
- Enterprise Resource Planning
- Customer Relationship Management
- Financial management
- Supply Chain management
- Sales and Marketing
- Human resource management
- Digital transformation
- Warehouse management
- Governance, risk, and compliance
Who Uses SAP Software?
Small, medium and large corporations use SAP products for their business operations. More than 80% of SAP’s customer base is made up of small and medium corporations. Major organizations such as IBM, Accenture, Hewlett-Packard, HCL Technologies, and Hindustan Unilever use SAP software products for their business.
SAP products are popular among large corporations but not ordinary users, due to the cost. Although being expensive, SAP products are worth every penny. Over the years, these applications have helped many businesses to automate their operations. The SAP platform is one of the best ERP software in the world. So, understandably, it is not purchased by PC users.
As mentioned earlier, small and mid-level companies use SAP products. Products such as SAP Business One and SAP Business ByDesign are specifically designed for smaller firms. But their flagship in-memory database SAP HANA is used by all types of firms.
The underlying technology of these products is the same. But each SAP application has a very particular set of functionalities. Most of them offer an interactive interface for performing all the tasks.
How to Work with an SAP Program?
For implementing SAP Programs or Applications, companies employ SAP Consultants. These professionals also provide training to the employees to use the apps. They oversee the entire software implementation process. As the SAP platform has a detailed and multi-layered architecture, it comes with a simple GUI to make things easier. This interface offers many screens for entering data, look at information and fetch data from a database.
To make things simpler for users, SAP offers a program called SAP Logon. This software acts as a bridge between the SAP system and the GUI. You need to get this software installed on your computer to start working. Although this is a straightforward application, some initial training will help you immensely. The SAP Consultant can help you in this regard.
How to Become an SAP Consultant?
Prerequisites to become an SAP Consultant –
- A background in Computer Science will improve your chances of employment. A graduation degree from a respected institute will be great
- Working knowledge of technical modules like SAP is preferred
- An SAP certification of the software module is necessary that validates your knowledge and expertise
- Expert-level knowledge of the SAP platform and various modules such as SAP SD, SAP MM, and SAP FICO
- Domain knowledge is essential for any consultant. For example, having an MBA will help you in handling applications such as SAP SD and SAP MM. Similarly, a degree in Finance will assist you in working on SAP FICO
- Problem-solving skills
- Analytical mindset
- Team-building skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. He or she must be willing to understand the team’s requirements and fulfil them to the best of their ability
- Industry knowledge is extremely important for being an SAP Consultant. For example, having hands-on experience in retail, management, FMCG, IT, telecom, or banking will be fantastic for your career
The average yearly salary of an SAP Consultant is ₹648,491. So, you can start preparing for a brighter future today!
As SAP products are an important part of any modern business, SAP programming has become more important than ever. Thus, more programmers are training themselves in ABAP and building useful applications. And subsequently, the demand for ABAP coders and SAP Consultants are increasing in demand. In the upcoming years, SAP programming will play a vital role in business application development.