1. System Copy/ Homogeneous Copy
It is used to setup a system similar to a PRD, QAS etc.
i.e. the system is completely build from OS, Database and R3 without changing OS or DB.
2. Heterogeneous Copy
When ever there is a change in OS or DB then it is said to be heterogeneous.
3. DB Refresh
It is the process of refreshing the data of one system by another system data.
(OS, DB, R3) remains the same but only database is refreshed.
The reasons for System Copy
Unicode Migration or Code Page Conversion
1. To setup a new system in the landscape (Only DEV and PRD exists, now we need to deploy QAS as a copy of PRD)
2. To change the hardware.
3. To move out from one OS to another or One DB to another DB which is called as OS/ DB Migration which needs to be carried under the guidance of Certified consultant.
4. While applying patches, Kernel Upgrade to test the objects with Production data.
5. System Copy is performed using export and import of the database.
STEPS for SYSTEM COPY
1. Source System
2. Use Installation Master DVD
- Use Additional Tasks
- System Copy
- Source System
- select database instance export
- specify typical
- specify Profile directory e:\usr\sap\sid\sys\profile
- specify the password if <sid>adm
- Specify the export location for Import.
Review the inputs and continue the import.