SAP BASIS Forum
What is the difference between system refresh and system copy?
Is system refresh and system copy same?
Please share the steps of system refresh.
How to make a system copy:
1. Take offline backup of both the server (source and target servers)
2. Verify the backup is successfully done.
3. Run the following command on source system. a. Login as <sid>adm b. svrmgrl c. connect internal d. alter database backup controlfile to trace; e. exit; f. Above command will generate a .trc file in /oracle/P01/saptrance/usertrace directory. g. Copy the text from CREATE CONTROLFILE until the (;) and paste it in to any new .sql or controlfile.sql file. h. Copy the controlfile.sql to target system. i. Edit the file and replace the entire source SID to target SID. j. Edit the reuse database command with the set database command
4. Copy the aft generated during the backup file from the source system to target system. (/oracle/<SID>/sapbackup) a. Change all the source <SID> to target <SID>. b. Only don't change the backup volume name it must be target system <SID>. c. Copy the above aft file name line from the source back<SID>.log to target<SID>.log file.
5. Shutdown the target server instance.
6. From this onwards all the command on the target system only. a. Login as <SID>adm b. run the SAPDBA c. select J (Restore/Recovery) d. select B (Full restore and recovery) e. select A (Select backup of type) f. Select the offline backup which you want to restore. g. It will take some time to restore. h. Once the database is restored login as <SID>adm and run the i. svrmgrl j. connect internal; k. startup nomount (if the database is already mounted shutdown it using the shutdown command) l. run the following command m. @controlfile.sql (file name of the control file contains the CREATE CONTROLFILE statement) n. After the run the above command it should give the "Statement Processed) o. alter database open resetlogs p. shutdown q. Start the database and SAP services using startup.
7. After this you have to reconfigure the STMS.
8. All the jobs also you have to reconfigure and reschedule.
9. Reconfigure all the printers.
10. If you want to change the Client number then use the local copy tool and remove the original client after successfully import to new client.
System copy is the offline backup of the source system which can be used to create duplicate copy of the source system
Database refresh the term used when you take statistics of the database using analyze and compute statistics.
System referesh means copying sap system to another.the system from where copy is being done called sourse system and the system onto datato be copied called target system.
If target system is already exists then it is called system referesh.
if target system is not present and u r building new one with same OS and same database then is called homogeneous system referseh. if both(sourse and target) different OS and DB THEN IT IS CALLED HETROGENEOUS SYSTEM REFERESH
Systm copy and system refresh are more or less the same however for convinience purposes system copy is generally defined as creating a new database as a copy of exisitng one while refresh means copying an exisitng database onto another exisitng database.
However nothing wrong in calling the second thing also system copy. It is just your choice. The important thing is to know what you are doing.
Sign up for STechies