What is SAP HANA content
SAP HANA content also called as SAP objects or artefacts is not a part of SAP HANA Database itself it is either delivered by SAP as part of SAP HANA optimized solutions like SAP Business Suite on SAP HANA or it is self-developed in the development project created by SAP partner or customer.
Objects comprised as HANA Content
- Attribute view, analytic view and calculation view
- Schemas and table definition
- Roles and permission
- Procedures and privileges
Stored Location and Lifecycle management of Content
- The content is located in the repository of HANA appliance.
- In the below image we can see a model prospective of SAP HANA Studio where the blue part is the catalog entries which represent the runtime objects whereas the red part is the HANA content which presented by the design time object.
- During the deployment or activation the design time objects become runtime object(Catalog).
Important functions provided by Repository
- Repository provides Object versioning
- It also provides Namespace concept
- And also provide support for server-based deployment.
Package Concept of SAP HANA Content
What is package
- While developing HANA content first step is to deal with packages. Each SAP HANA repository objects are assigned to the package.
- A package is a group of the object which logically belong together.
- Package is a unit identified by package name, object name and the object type.
- With the help of package hierarchy, we can establish a parent-child relation between various packages.
- Package Hierarchy is also used to organize objects
Assigning Privileges to Package
- We can define access to object in package by assigning the privileges to package
- It also helps for assigning specific user or role for accessing to object in package
- Authorization assigned to a package are implicitly assigned to sub-packages in the hierarchy.
Delivery and Vendor Concept
What is Delivery Unit
- Delivery unit is a logical group of packages. It defines set of packages that transported or shipped together.
- The concept of delivery unit is similar to the concept of software component of SAP ABAP
- Delivery unit is identified by name and vendor such as partners, customer and SAP itself in some cases.
- Each package is assigned to only one delivery unit.
Note: Parent and child packages can belong to different delivery units.
Transport options for SAP HANA content
Below table depicts the various SAP HANA content transport scenarios from SAP HANA Source to SAP HANA Target
|Use case||Transport management|
|Native SAP HANA content|| |
SAP HANA Application Lifecycle Manager
|Native SAP HANA content or as part of a solution (BI, Mobile etc)|| |
Enhanced CTS (CTS+)
|SAP HANA content exclusively used by ABAP (ABAP for SAP HANA)|| |
HANA Transport Container