Solution Manager is a centralized support and system management suite. A SAP system landscape may include a large quantity of system installations of SAP systems. SAP Solution Manager tries to reduce and centralize the management of these systems.
In such a landscape,SAP Solution Manager is the managing system, and the business suite applications (e.g. CRM) are the managed systems.
The current version of Solution Manager is Solution Manager 7.0 Enhancement Package 1.
Solution Manager provides an extensive set of features in the IT Support area for enhancing, automating and improving the management of SAP systems:
- Central System Administration
- Project Management
- Test Management
- System Monitoring
- Business Process Monitoring
- E2E Root Cause Analysis
- IT Technical Reporting
- Centralized Alerting
- Installation Keys
- Early Watch Reporting
- Change Management (Change Request Management & Maintenance Optimizer)
- Service Desk
SAP is actively improving and extending all the areas, so this list may be outdated very quickly.
SAP Solution Manager is the successor to ASAP ValueSAP. SAP Solution Manager helps in implementing and managing complex system landscapes. Globally systems are being distributed across geographies and business processes cover more than one system. In such complex scenarios, integrating technical and business requirements is important for the success of IT. SAP Solution Manager provides SAP customers with an efficient means of handling both the technical and business process side of solution implementation.
As part of SAP Solution Management Solutions, the customers receive best practices relating to:
- Global Strategy and Service Level Management
- Business Process Management
- Management of MySAP Technology
- Software Change Management
- Support Desk Management
SAP delivers this using support programs during implementation of the system solution. Some of the benefits of using SAP's Solution Manager are that it helps:
- Manages the technical risk associated with the implementation of the solution ensuring technical robustness
- Helps leverage users core competencies in implementing solutions
- Ensures solution works as intended with best practices built in.