How to Prepare for SAP Certification?
- Document Types and Number Ranges
- A business transaction can create one or more documents.
- Documents in R/3 include a doc header and 2-999 line items.
- A document remains a complete unit in the R/3 system until archived.
- Controlling info may also be included in doc header
- SAP records at least one doc for every biz transaction and each doc receives a unique doc number.
- Every Doc uniquely identified by fol Fields:
- i. Doc No
- ii. Coy Code
- iii. Fiscal Year
- Two important control keys for documents are:
- Document Type (to control document header)
- Posting Keys (for line items)
Controls the doc header & is used to classify the business transactions to be posted, it is the key to differentiate and classify business transactions.
- Most imp control functions of doc types are ;
- i. Number ranges for doc numbers;
- ii. Account types permitted for postings
- Doc Types defined at client level and valid for all coy codes. It controls the following:
- i. which accounts to be posted
- ii. number range
- iii. field status of document header text and reference
- iv. Whether invoices are posted with net procedure.
- If no reversal document type is specified, the reversal doc has the same doc type as original doc.
- You specify a number range for each doc type. However, you can use one number range for several doc types.
- You can copy the intervals of document number ranges from one coy code to another or copy intervals from one fiscal year to other.
- Every Coy Code may define its own Doc number ranges or doc number ranges created per coy code
- Doc Number range can be internal or external. The internal range can be year specific or year independent.
- Doc no ranges must never overlap.
- External number ranges may be alphanumeric
- System saves the last document used from number range in field Current number.
- Doc number range must be defined for the year in which it is used.
- i. Up to a future fiscal year :no restart
- ii. For each fiscal year :restart